Here are few documents pertaining to the region, some of which have been collected from public records via the internet.
They reveal some interesting facts. One, that the name of the creek at the apex of the bay was identified as Gurley Creek at least until the mid-1940’s. It believed that this was an error picked up from one map to another for decades — who really cared what the name of a relatively small creek was? — and not a name change. The other piece of information that we can glean from maps is the identification of the harbor area and when it might have been changed from “Barron’s Bay” to “Yukon Harbor.” The ones we have discovered so far, below, have not been especially helpful in that regard. The newer name appears about 1891, but few of the prior maps identify it at all. That would seem to eliminate the theory that the switch was Alaska Gold Rush related, since that occurred a few years later.
One of the more interesting developments through the years, of course, are the routes. The earliest ones that show roadways and trails indicate the surreptitious route to travel to Port Orchard, indicated in some views as Sidney. The first roads generally followed the ridges that bordered the streams and creeks.
For the most part, we have posted screen captures (small portions) of larger maps. If you wish to view entire documents go to the NOAA Office of Coastal Survey’s Historical Maps Page or the Washington State University Libraries Digital Collection by clicking these highlighted links.
Of course, your contributions to the discovery process are certainly welcome. Add tips or insights by clicking the “Comments” tab below.
A Survey of Colby Cemetery Graves:
COLBY CEMETERY, Colby, Kitsap County — The US GenWeb Archives provide genealogical and historical data to the general public without fee or charge of any kind. It is intended that this material not be used in a commercial manner. All submissions become part of the permanent collection. Transcribed and submitted by Heather W. Bowers December 1, 1998. Surveyed and modified by Russell Neyman, 2008. Both above notices must remain when copied or downloaded.
COLBY CEMETERY is located in Port Orchard, Kitsap Co, WA. on Mile Hill RD., at the cross street of Alaska St. This location is approximately one-quarter mile to the West of where the now-defunct town of Colby existed from c1875 to 1967. The cemetery is generally unkept, but mowed and trimmed regularly. T24N R2E Section 33
The following are transcriptions of the headstones, with notes and comments following.
?, Chris– No Stone- A little card was laid down among other articles: “Thrice blessed this sacred. Those who desecrate suffer around. The Angles (SIC) watch over Chris. (Items left, by a base of a tree)- Rock painted red, lock, bicycle reflector, Plaque : “Chris flower of Christ, Teach me the way o lord. I will walk in your path. Psalms 86:11 NKJV”
ANDERSON, Gustaf– Fodd Den 26 June 1826; Dod Den 19 Jan 1900. (The O in Fodd and in Dod have two dots over it, consistent with Danish heritige)
ANSPAUGH, Elizabeth– 1846-1928- Mother (wife of John Anspaugh)
ANSPAUGH, Jno. N.– (Buried next to Elizabeth Ansbaugh; died about 1904) CO.E. 7th MO. Div. John Anspaugh was a Union Calvary officer who left the army before the war ended due to battle injuries. He was a carpenter and built many of the building in the region.
ARNE, Sherry Bell– May 28 1929; Aged 3 days.
BAXTER, Albert & Nathaniel– In loving memory of Nathaniel F. and Albert T. Baxter. Died Jan 17, 1892. Nathaniel aged 15 years 6 mos. Albert 8 years 5 mos. “Gone but not forgotten.”
BREITENSTEIN, Melissa– 1853-1892
BROWN, Agnes J.– 1843-1933 (On same monument as James R. Carruthers and William B.R. Carruthers).
CARRUTHERS, James R.– Born London, Eng. Feb 29 1868. Died May 12, 1907. (On same Monument as Agnes J. Brown and William B.R. Carruthers)
CARRUTHERS, William B.R.– Born Denver, Colo. March 23 1898. Died Dec. 7 1919 – Lost at Sea. (On same monument as James R. Carruthers and Agnes J. Brown.)
CHANDLER, Mrs. Lillie B.–
CLARK, Jas. O.– 701 IL. Inf.
DAVIS, John R.– (On the same stone as Wm. N. Smith)
DECKER, Anna B. J.-— “Sister” Mar 30 19022- Oct 3 1988 -Buried at Sea (Grave marker in family plot with Harold, Edwin, Alex and Corey Johnson and Johanna Lennox).
DOYLE, Ceclia A.– 1886-1929
ERICKSON, John A.– 1871-1934- “In life we wander and dwell together so in death we rest side by side.” (On same stone as Gustae Lindgren).
FLOWERS, Bigmond Lytton– 1896-1907 (Bigmond is on the same stone as Wayne Orison Flowers)
FLOWERS, Wayne Orison– Nov-May
FOSS, Almer L.– Dec 10, 1905 – May 1 1968
FOSS, Clarence C.– Oct 28, 1899 – Feb 25 1967
FOSS, Florence– 1891-1904
FOSS, G. Marie– Feb 10 1890 – Dec 7, 1970
FOSS, Hanna S.– June 10 1863 – Aug 24 1951
FOSS, William A.– 1885-1961
FOSS, Wilma– 1899-1904
GARNEY, Fanny– 1852-1913 (On same stone as Rosannah S. Garney).
GARNEY, Rosannah S.– 1824-1910 (On same stone as Fanny Garney).
GRANT, J. Squire– 1876-1959 This is the youngest son of Joseph Squire Grant, Sr, ie, Jr.
GRANT, Joseph Squire– 1840-1916; “Rock of Ages” Colby’s founding father, postmaster, sheriff, and merchant. The cross has been removed by his granddaughter and stored elsewhere. Full name is Joseph Squire Grant, Sr.
Grant, Robert Delroy– (Granite stone, no inscription, near the GRANT graves). Identified as Robert Grant, son of Joseph Squire Grant Jr. Cremated remains placed there by his son, Franklin.
GUMMERE, Edgar O.– Beloved son of Ella Mix. Born Apr 17 1889. Died Mar 12 1908.
HATH, James A.– 1871-1965
JOHNSON, Alex-— “Brother” Aug 12 1905 – Feb 4 1965 (Buried near Harold, Edwin, Corey Johnson, Johanna Lennox and Anna B.J. Decker).
JOHNSON, Andrew—- “Husband” Jan 2, 1858 – Mar 7, 1917 (Buried next to Beon and Gurine Johnson)
JOHNSON, Beon– 1867-1965 (Buried next to Andrew and Gurine Johnson)
JOHNSON, Corey— “Brother” Sep 23 1903- Apr 26 1988 (Buried near Alex, Edwin, Harold Johnson, Johanna Lennox and Anna B. J. Johnson).
JOHNSON, Edwin– Feb 28 1911 (Buried near Harold, Alex, Corey Johnson, Johanna Lennox and Anna B.J. Decker).
JOHNSON, Gurine– 1864-1937- Mother (Buried next to Andrew and Beon Johnson)
JOHNSON, Harold– Aug 8 1912- May 5 1935 (Buried near Edwin, Alex, Corey Johnson, Johanna Lennox and Anna B.J. Decker)
JOHNSON, Iner– 1894-1939 “Brother” (Buried near Andrew, Gurine and Beon Johnson)
KEITH, Adam C.– 1865-1933 “Son” (of Eugenia)
KEITH, Eugenia– “In loving remberance of Eugenia, wife of B. H. KEITH.” Born Apr. 25, 1843, died March 2, 1903.
KEITH, Myrtle M.– 1896-1903, DTR. of Adam
KEITH, Ruby R.– DTR of Adam, 1888-1909
LEHMAN, Maggie– “In loving memory of Mother Maggie Lehman 1880-1960.”
LENNOX, Johanna– “Mother” Oct 13 1881 – May 27 1961 (Buried in family plot with Harold, Edwin, Alex, Corey Johnson and Anna B.J. Decker).
LINDGREN, Gustae– 1875-1936 – “In life we wander and dwel together so in death we rest side by side.” (On same stone as John A. Erikson)
LOCKER, Corbin– 1900-1902 (On same stone as Dad and Mother Locker)
LOCKER, Dad– 1855-1948 (On same stone as Corbin and Mother Locker; probably Luban Locker)
LOCKER, Mother– 1869-1926 (On same stone as Dad and Corbin Locker)
MANKOUSKI, Jacob– 1829-1907; “At Rest.” (Big Monument at bottom it says MANKOWSKI, open Bible (stone) at top of monument;) “To the Memory of my Beloved husband”.
MANKOWSKI, Casimir-– 1870-1937; Rest in peace.
MANKOWSKI, Emilia– (nee, BADEKI)- Born June 4 1839, died Jan 1 1899, (three words could not be deciphered)
MANKOWSKI, Joseph Karol– Born Sept 20 1863, died Sept. 18 1903, “Gone but not forgotten.”
MARKOWSKI, Wanda B.– 1865-1926
McGREGOR, Andrew– Died Nov 14, 1889, aged 66 years. “Sleep father sleep at last thy sleep shall be, thy rest, thy strength, thy Victory.” (On same stone as Jennie Mcgregor)
McGREGOR, Jennie– Died Aug. 25 1887, aged 65 years. “Rest mother rest in quite sleep while friends in sorrow or thee weep.” (On same stone as Andrew McGregor).
McPHERSON, Allister– 1898-1913 (Buried near John A. and Uncle Duncan McPherson).
McPHERSON, Duncan L.– 1870–1902 (Buried near Flora and Isabella McPherson)
McPHERSON, Duncan (Uncle)– (Buried near John A. and Allister McPherson)
McPHERSON, Flora M.– 1838-1928 (Buried near Duncan L. and Isabella McPherson)
McPHERSON, Isabella H.– 1813-1897 (Buried near Flora and Duncan L. McPherson).
McPHERSON, John A.– 1838-1920 (Buried near Allistor, Uncle Duncan McPherson)
MEY, Arthur– June 1897 – June 1911 (On same stone as John B. Mey)
MEY, John B.– Dec 1836 – Apr 1921 (On same stone as Aurthur Mey)
O’NEILL, Thomas John– June 7 1857- Nov 27 1923
OLSON, Perry– 1889-1914
PORTER, Carlton– 1901-1945
RAYMOND, Harry W.– 1877 – 1912 “Here Rests a WOW.”
REDDICK, Lilian J.– “Mother” Jan 22 1875 – Jan 1 1952 (Buried next to J.M. Rubert)
RUBERT, J. M.– Born Jan 21 1855; died March 22 1888
SMITH, Wm. N.– (On the same stone as John R. Davis)
SULYTER, Charles L.– Born July 23 1887, died Aug 28 1889. (buried next to Jay A. Sulyter)
SULYTER, Jay A.– Born May 17 1890, died June 7 1890. Children of George & Catherine Sulyter. (Buried next to Charles L. Sulyter)
T.W.– (Buried in the WOOD Family Plot)
WALDOWSKI, Antonette– died Nov 22 1894, aged 22 years. (Buried with MANKOWSKI’S)
WATSON, Peter B.– 1901-1990 (Buried with the FOSS Family)
WATSON, Ruby– 1902– 1904 (Buried with the FOSS Family)
WEST-– Rev. 14, 12.
WILLIAMS, Alfred– Died Dec. 6 1911, aged 81 years. ( On same stone as Maria A. Williams).
WILLIAMS, Anderson J.– Died May 21 1910, Aged 26 years. (Buried near Maria A. and Alfred Williams).
WILLIAMS, Maria A.– Wife of Alfred Williams. Died May 19, 1899 aged 56 years. “The lord is a sun and a shield to all their that put their trust in him.” (On same stone as Alfred Williams).
WOOD, Anthony-– 1868-1952 (Buried next to Charles, Dona, Henry, Sarah, Thomas Wood)
WOOD, Charles— 1860-1949 (Buried next to Anthony, Dona, Henry, Sarah, Thomas Wood)
WOOD, Dona B.– 1866-1962 (Buried next to Charles, Anthony, Henry, Sarah, Thomas Wood)
WOOD, Henry— 1866-1940 (Buried next to Charles, Dona, Anthony, Sarah, Thomas Wood)
WOOD, Sarah— 1829-1904 (On Same stone as Thomas Wood)
WOOD, Thomas— 1836-1912 (On same stone with Sarah Wood)
The following comprehensive timeline of relevant events was complied from multiple sources by JB Hall and Russell Neyman.
Yukon Harbor Timeline
|1792||Puget Sound||HMS Discovery enters Puget Sound and “discovers” the local area, trading with friendly Native American tribes and charting the local waters.|
|1841||Puget Sound||Wilkes Expedition, on behalf of United States Government, surveys Puget Sound in greater detail and names the region “Barron’s Bay.”|
|1849||Puget Sound||The discovery of gold in Central California leads to a building boom, which in turn, leads to a surge in lumber production in the heavily forested Yukon Harbor area. About 1870 a milling operation is established near the future townsite of Colby.|
|1870||Yukon Harbor and Port Orchard||Homesteaders and various business enterprises, including mining and lumber, dot the landscape throughout the area. All travel is done by steamship, with almost no access to the Western Shores of Puget Sound by land.|
|1871||Yukon Harbor||I.C. Ellis (85 acres) and Hiram Cornell (165 acres) homestead in the Curley Creek and Manchester area, though their patents aren’t filed until the early 1880’s.|
|1880||Turner Point (Bremerton)||First efforts to establish a naval shipyard begun at Bremerton area are thwarted, but the strategic importance of having a military presence is clear. Additional efforts to fund a base continue for more than a decade.|
|1880||Colby, Harper, South Colby||Regular steamship service begins throughout the area, now renamed Yukon Harbor, with service via floats and rowboats.|
|1883||Colby||Capt Creswell and William Morgan decide to name town after Creswell’s steamship, Colby|
|1884||Dec||Colby Landing||William Morgan establishes US Post Office at Colby Landing shortly after a lumber mill is built there. Colby quickly becomes the center of all commercial activity in Yukon Harbor.|
|1884||Nov||Olalla||Joseph Squire Grant, Sr, builds and operates Olalla Store and Post Office|
|1885||Sidney (Port Orchard)||Town officially gets a United States Post Office as the area begins to grow around the lumber and shipping trade.|
|1885||Colby||Joseph Squire Grant, Sr, purchases Colby General Store from William Morgan, his brother-in-law. He operated a similar store and post office in Ollala for the prior year.|
|1885||Colby||First schoolhouse, a one-room design serving all grades, is built at the corner of Cole and Yukon Harbor. Jennie Tappan is the first teacher.|
|1887||Harmon’s Landing (Harper)||George Harmon homesteads on the bluff at Harper Area, adding steamship float dock. He later married Jennie, a Native American woman he met in Seattle. A small lumber milling business soon follows.|
|1887||South Colby||Settlement begins south of Curly Creek.|
|1887||Colby||Colby Church built, serving Methodists and Lutherans primarily|
|1889||Curley Creek||Wooden bridge built across the previously unpassable bridge.|
|1891||(Turner Point) Bremerton||Construction of Navy Base and shipyards in Bremerton officially begins.|
|1892||29-Sep||Colby||Steamer LENA, owned by Capt Cresswell, is destroyed by fire.|
|1892||Manchester||Community of Brooklyn, homesteaded throughout the 1870’s at Northernmost point of Yukon Harbor, is renamed Manchester.|
|1892||Manchester||The town changes its name from “Brooklyn” to “Manchester.”|
|1893||Manchester||A Post Office is established in Manchester, but closes within a year.|
|1895||Harper||Drawbridge built over creek entrance adjacent to Harper Brick Factory, linking Harper and Landsdale (Southworth) to Colby and South Colby.||Could be 1902, per South Colby Church notes.|
|1896||Aug||Seattle||Great Seattle Fire, which can be seen glowing brightly from the Kitsap Pinnesula.|
|1899||Harmon’s Landing (Harper)||Harper Tile & Brick Company Established along water’s edge, across from marshes, between Harmon’s Landing and Southworth.|
|1900||Colby||Steamship Pier built at Colby, replacing float. Up until this point, travelers rowed out to a floating dock, secured with bags of rocks, and waited for a passing steamer. Similar piers would be built later at Harper and Manchester.||Taken from snippet that appeared in Kitsap County Herald 22 June 1906|
|1901||Harper||A Post Office is established at Harmon’s Landing, named after a former public official and owner of the local brick works, Frederick Harper.|
|1904||Colby||John N Anspaugh, local builder and businessman, dies; widow Elizabeth applies for pension|
|1905||Colby||Rust “Foursquare” house built at 1726 Cole Loop in current Port Orchard.|
|1906||22-Jun||Colby||“Grant & Sons install the first telephone service of South Colby” in their store and offer it for public use.||Grant & Sons receipt book|
|1906||4-Jul||Colby Beach||2000 people come to Curley Creek for Fourth of July Celebration. Inlieu of fireworks, a well digger named Charley Graham sets off a case of dynamite in the mud flats to highlight the celebration.||Manchester Memories says this was 1907|
|1906||31-Jul||South Colby||Methodist Church built with donations from citizens and merchants , J.P. Miller, Mary Everett, Walter D Hanson, John McEwen, and Rosa King as incorporators.||Manchester Memories says this was 1907|
|1908||Colby||A larger, four-room schoolhouse is built on the top of the hill overlooking Yukon Harbor.|
|1908||Manchester||A dock is built at Main Street in Manchester.|
|1908||Manchester||Manchester gets its own school.|
|1909||Dec||Yukon Harbor||Wooden foot path built between Colby and South Colby to facilitate foot traffic, especially for children commuting to and from school in rainy weather.|
|1911||South Colby||Steamship Pier built at South Colby|
|1913||Southworth||Charlie Bliss Chicken Ranch established.|
|1913||South Colby||South Colby Post Office Established|
|1913||South Colby||Steamship pier constructed at South Colby, just East of Curley Creek bridge. Ben Johnson opens a barber shop on the pier.|
|1916||Colby||Joseph Squire Grant, Sr, dies|
|1916||World War I begins|
|1918||1-Aug||Blake Island||William Pitt and Cassandra Trimble purchase Blake Island and renames it Trimble Island, building a large two-story house surrounded by lavish gardens and orchards.|
|1918||Southworth||First official automobile ferry arrives.|
|1920||Puget Sound||Mosquito Fleet Steamship service effectively ends with widespread use of autos and roadways.|
|1922||25-Nov||Kitsap County||Joseph Squire Grant, Jr marries Jessie Gaskill|
|1925||Colby||Nieblock Hotel burns down|
|1925||Manchester||An auto ferry pier is built at the end of Main Street.|
|1929||Seattle||Cassandra Trimble, wife of the owner of Blake Island, dies in auto accident. He goes into deep depression and abandons the estate he built there.|
|1933||Puget Sound||USS CONSTITUTION, aka “Old Ironsides,” is towed past Manchester.|
|1941||Dec||World War II begins; heavy presence of Army and Navy in all local towns. US Army Artillery Unit stationed there as part of Puget Sound defense against air attack.|
|1948||Blake Island||Trimble Mansion accidentally burned by Don Winslow and Keith Williams|
|1952||Colby||Herbert D & Elna King sell “Foursquare” house to George family|
|1954||Colby||Colby Post Office is closed|
|1959||Blake Island||The State of Washington purchases Blake Island and constructs a State Park facility there.|
|1967||Colby||Grant & Sons Store torn down|
|2004||Colby||Georgeian Grant dies|
|2008||1-Mar||Coby||Grant Store bell returns to Colby; placed in care of Russell Neyman and the Yukon Harbor Historical Society.|